Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time Saving Tips/Online discussions

One of the best workshops I attended was Louisa Moon’s Ten Time-Saving Tips for Online Teachers. I use almost everything she mentioned in her workshop and handout. I do have one more tip to add to hers that I learned at a Thursday online workshop about discussions.

Lisa Lane doesn’t grade each discussion individually, she instead has the students submit a discussion portfolio every 4 weeks or so. This has really cut my discussion grading time. I am still participating in the discussions but I don’t grade each discussions individually. For the first discussion I do let students know if their posts are not up to par and for every discussion I direct the class to excellent discussion posts.

One Blackboard caveat: it is very difficult to go back and retrieve your discussion posts. So in each individual discussion direction, my first line reminds students to write and save your post in a Word or other file. This has the added benefit of giving the students a spell check when they are composing the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment