Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Adding Audio to my online classes

At the Intro to Online Teaching workshop I took with Lisa Lane I really liked that her lectures included pictures and audio. The picture part was easy but the audio part was more difficult.

Shirley Olsen's Using IPODS to Enhance Student Learning workshop taught me an easy solution. I use a Belkin TuneTalk Stereo hooked to my IPOD to record. It enables me to record my lecture quickly. It downloads directly to ITunes when I plug in my IPOD. ITunes allows easy conversion from a .wav file to a mp3 file.

At the end of my audio lecture I asked students to email me if they thought the lecture was valuable to them and I received many emails from students asking me to continue recording the lectures. The feedback from Rate Your Prof also indicated students liked this feature.

I also record my interviews with various professionals in the kinesiology field. Right now I have a tremendous amount of audio in my online class. I’m hoping to add some visual to this semester’s classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment